Saturday, September 29, 2007

A Namesake's Name..

What's in a name?

A whole lot, me thinks. If you have lived all the years of your existence with a long name (13 letters for a first name and 10 letters for a last name, a total of 23 letters (English has a total of 26 letters, if not for a few repetitive alphabets, my name would be a running in close for having all the alphabets of this language) and to top it all, I have to answer questions like why do you have two first names and no middle names. Wonder what my parents were thinking when they decided to call me "Lakshmi Prabha", that nobody ever calls me by whole name and that people find convenient ways of calling me, the easiest being LP, officially Prabha and a few friends Lakshmi and Vinu at home and it’s a great feeling when you know of your ability to respond to all of these names under different circumstances. Well to go back to how I got my name in the first place, Lakshmi is from my grandmother and Prabha is kind of a family name for all cousins (girls) (thankfully better sense prevailed and my sister was spared of this torture which my cousins and me were subjected to). That's the origin of my name and that I still cannot understand why would anybody want to give their daughter my name, maybe my Parent's should know, I sure have brought it up on many occasions just in a lighter vein and well sometimes seriously too, well then again, I have to live with it now :). Just when you think all is cool and you have forgotten about it, there are certain things which will have to keep reminding you of what you want to forget...

* You read a forward which says you are from South India if your name will be that of a Goddess (Sure my name is of the Goddess of Wealth and well I am her namesake but I don't see how that has helped me until now, If the access to riches was as easy as naming your daughter after the goddess of wealth, won't everybody be naming their daughter Lakshmi.. well maybe they were being optimistic)

* A friend of mine says that before she met me, she had just heard of my name thru some common friends and she had painted a mental picture of what kind of person I would be like - a very quiet, traditional, well oiled hair (not that I have anything against these kind of girls) and we shared some laughs over it and after that I just asked her if she hasn't heard of a certain someone who goes by the name "Padma Parvathy Lakshmi" (she was Lady Rushdie until a while ago)

* It takes me a whole 5 minutes to get my name across spelling it out the American way.. A for apple.. yada yada to even get a haircut appointment and at the end of it, the lady at the salon can't find my name on the database.. sigh..

Well our life is what we make it out to be and that we are what we are because the things we do and the person that you grow up to be and what you want to really be and all that will be remembered by that one name that you were baptized with. Whatever is your name, try to live it up and just as long as it brings a smile on someone's face, you are OK :), the things I have to keep reminding myself to feel good about my name, I really try hard don’t I..

(On the contrary, in the corporate world, the name of your company, the name of your product speaks volumes for itself, we are talking about brand names here. I was reading about this company called Lexicon Branding which comes up with names for Product's for Companies, they are the people who coined Pentium for Intel and Blackberry. Quite interesting to know that so much of thought process goes into naming a product. That We now use the word 'Google' instead of 'search' and 'Xerox' instead of 'making copies' is evident enough)

9 comments:

Moon Shadow said...

i can very well empathise with the way you feel about your name...

i have faced quite a few raised eyebrows for how my name is spelt. a majority of people that i know address me as arti/aarti/arati or some other different version of it all together. i fail to understand how can a 5 letter word be so difficult to hang to :P

but on a positive note i think they all mean well...arthi in hindi means death-bed :)) since my parents arent so well versed with the language i have decided not to turn to them for an explanation :)

Unknown said...

Don't you worry about the length of your name dearie! I have had people who can't even type out my name properly!! Swapping of 2 letters in a name which has a total of 4 letters makes me ponder :)

LP said...

@Moon shadow : Isn't arthi the "south Indian" version of arti.. like Ekta <=> Ektha, Vasant <=> Vasanth.. :)

LP said...

@Ekta: It's comforting to know that even a person with a name that is 4 letters long(or short), is having problems.. that sure made my day ;)

Anonymous said...

hi there dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking allowing for regarding that particular make. The prices due to the fact that the velcros were approximately 320 bucks on every site. But for all I set this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good afternoon people. I'm really into shoes and I had been looking allowing for regarding that singular brand. The prices as regards the shoes were all over 230 dollars everwhere. But completely I bring about this area selling them for half price. I really want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy those. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

hello bros. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been digging allowing for regarding that exact brand. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers were about 320 dollars on every page. But finally I base this location selling them for half price. I exceptionally want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

good day dudes. I'm honestly into shoes and I was searching for the sake of that exact make. The prices as regards the sneakers were around 170 pounds on every site. But for all I found this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase these. what can you tell me about these?