Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Life after Harry Potter...

"All good things do come to an end",so has the harry potter series, with the final part - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows releasing the past weekend across 200 countries and 60 languages. The past 10 years has been quite a magical journey for JK Rowling, so has it been for all of us readers. Her personal life is what we can call the typical rags to riches story, but the difference being, in her case, she has taken a few million readers world wide on a journey, quite magical, simply fascinating and most of all an out of the world experience. I did manage to read book 5 and 6 in like straight 10 hours, but with the last part,I was taking my time, read it over two days, but nothing changed, as always I was living in a different world as I set out to read this book, the world of Hogwarts, the dashing Wizard, known to the world as Harry Potter, spells and curses, plots so amazingly intertwined and set, this is one hell of a magical story. I could never make up my mind whether Snape was good or bad, whether Dumbledore was actually helping Harry.. but being confused is normal, and it did lay a perfect setting and curiousity levels for me to read this book and well boy o boy, was I thrilled for I think this book is simply brilliant, everything falls into place, and yes its the last of the Harry Potter series. I knew the magical journey was going to end as I read thru every single page.To all the people who will dismiss this as another children's fantasy story, I would beg to differ, it's one of those books that has all the ingredients to capture the minds of all ages alike. To all the LOTR fans, there is definetly no argueing with JRR tolkeins master creation, he is the father of fantasy literature,Period. I will definetly not compare Harry Potter, cos for me Harry Potter is really of a different genre, its just pure magic and we are not trying to get into an argument here. But I simply love Potter, I have enjoyed reading each of the books, the boxed edition of the entire series will find place in my home library (whenever I manage to set up one) alongside the calvin and hobbes complete edition that I already own :). The magical journey that Rowling takes all her readers thru is simply enchanting will leave the readers asking for more. Its not a simple story with some fantasy thrown in at random intervals, nor is it an intellectual story with great knowledge being thrust upon you. Its a great story, a fantabulous one at that. The one that will leave you "spell" bound (literally). Whether its buying the book on the day of the release,trying to read it at one stretch, ignoring everything else till you are done with the book, trying to watch a potter movie on the first day, being a part of a harry potter club at work, celebrating a release of the book by printing tshirts (yes it happened in Infosys Chennai when book 6 released), I would cherish every moment of it. I don't know how many times I will re-read this series but I surely will. When JK Rowling went around creating this character -Harry Potter atttending the Hogwarts school, little would see have realized the character she created was going to be a phenomenon. For all those people out there who still havent gotten around reading this one,you should read. Period. You don't know what you are missing in life :). With a heavy heart I will have to say that, as much as I was looking forward to reading the final part, I will really miss the "looking forward to" part of it now.It's hard to believe and come to terms that there will be no more of Harry Potter, but then.. Amen!

1 comment:

Whirlwind said...

gal..cant wait to encounter the deathly hallows:)..guess its cast a spell over me already...waiting to read it asap.